Aug 23, 2015

Okra Season!

Last week I pickled some okra from Rattle's Garden.  Actually, I lacto-fermented them to boost their nutritional value.  I followed a recipe similar to my pickle recipe by making a simple brine and adding starter juice from Bubbies pickles or sauerkraut.  I used horseradish leaves again for tannins to help keep the okra crispy.  The dill from my garden is long gone so I used dried dill.  Not wanting to make another trip to the grocery, I re-used (fermented again?) garlic from a previous batch of pickles.  They still had potency!

As you can see from the picture above, I weighted the okra with a smaller jar, filled with water.  Otherwise the okra was floating out of the brine.  It needs to stay submerged.  

End result?  I liked them.  My 2.5 year old liked them.  The other members of my family were not fans.  Not everybody likes the okra.  

However, if you like okra be sure to try out these recipes that we've posted on the blog before -

Ginger Peach Gumbo - use purple hull peas for bonus!

-Julie

share facebook tweet

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails